• الوقت
  • عرض
إلغاء تحديد الكل
مشاركات جديدة
  • soubiri
    أعضاء رسميون
    • May 2006

The Oldest Profession in the World

<p dir="ltr"><font color="#0000ff"><strong><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: " sans??="" lucida="">The Oldest Profession in the World</span></strong><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: " sans??="" lucida=""> <p></p></span></font></p><p dir="ltr"><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: " sans??="" lucida=""><br /><font color="#0000ff">by Tim Nicholson - tnichols@sarenet.es <br /><em>reprinted with permission of the author</em> <p></p></font></span></p><pre dir="ltr"><span style="font-family: " sans??="" lucida=""><font size="2"><font color="#0000ff">My first contact with the world of translation was in <state w:st="on" /><place w:st="on" />Madrid</place /></state /> in the <br />early 1980s where I was living in a garret flat, my only source of <br />income a monthly wad of notes pressed into my hand by an unregistered <br />staff member of the Irish embassy at a prearranged venue.<p></p></font></font></span></pre><pre dir="ltr"><font color="#0000ff"><span style="font-family: " sans??="" lucida=""><p><font size="2"> </font></p></span><span style="font-family: " sans??="" lucida=""><font size="2">It was on a balmy evening in late spring that I first met Amaia who <br />was </font></span><span style="font-family: " sans??="" lucida=""><font size="2">working the terraces in the Plaza Mayor. Of course I had seen the <br /></font></span></font><font color="#0000ff"><span style="font-family: " sans??="" lucida=""><font size="2">"palabreras" before, shuffling from table to table offering cheap <br /></font></span><span style="font-family: " sans??="" lucida=""><font size="2">translations, with one eye over their shoulders for the police, but I <br />had always avoided entering into conversation with such people. Amaia, <br />however, was different. Unlike the others, she held her head proudly, <br />and her first words were: "Any of these (she waved a dismissive hand <br />in the direction of the other translators on the beat) could do the <br />job in half the time and for half of my price, but if you believe that <br />quality is worth paying for,I'm the one you're looking for". I had been <br />brought up a strict monolinguist, and I was instinctively repulsed by <br />her offer, but I invited her to stay for a drink with me.<p></p></font></span></font></pre><pre dir="ltr"><font color="#0000ff"><span style="font-family: " sans??="" lucida=""><p><font size="2"> </font></p></span><span style="font-family: " sans??="" lucida=""><font size="2">After that, we began to meet regularly, though in all the time I knew <br />her I never once paid for her to translate for me. Her story was all <br />too </font></span></font><span style="font-family: " sans??="" lucida=""><font size="2"><font color="#0000ff">familiar. She had had a respectable job as a prostitute, working <br />in some of the better clubs in the area, but desperation and an ugly <br />knife scar across her right cheek had led her into the sordid world of <br />translation. Her brother, Javier, sent by the family to <state w:st="on" /><place w:st="on" />Madrid</place /></state /> to try <br />to rescue her from immorality, had fallen into the same trap. The first <br />time I met him I knew from the glazed eyes, ghoulish stare and nervous <br />inability to stay quiet that he was a simultaneous interpreter.</font></font></span></pre><p></p><pre dir="ltr"><font color="#0000ff"><span style="font-family: " sans??="" lucida=""><p><font size="2"> </font></p></span><span style="font-family: " sans??="" lucida=""><font size="2">After a change of government in Ireland and a new policy on <br />international "diplomacy" even my pitiful income for "information" <br />had dried up, and I eventually went to live with Amaia and Javier and <br />inevitably to work with them. Despite the apparent misery of our <br />existence, they were not unhappy times. I worked mainly as a <br />"frilansa", having learnt from my new friends to avoid the agencies, <br />which tempted innocent young translators in with promises of steady <br />work and careful client control, but which always ended up sapping the <br />spirit of even the hardiest, forcing them to work unbelievable hours <br />at low pay, and never allowing them the chance to turn down a trick, <br />whatever the subject matter.<p></p></font></span></font></pre><font color="#0000ff"><span style="font-family: " sans??="" lucida=""><pre><font size="2"> </font></pre><pre dir="ltr"><span style="font-family: " sans??="" lucida=""><font size="2">Of course, we were continually hounded by the police, and could not <br />afford the back-handers paid by the agencies to keep the Civil Guard <br />away. On many occasions I was forced by unscrupulous policemen to do <br />free work for them, and on a few occasions even ended up doing court <br />translations. Eventually though, my luck ran out, and I spent six <br />months in Carabanchel for "comercio linguistico con el agravante de <br />estilo libre". Naturally we were deprived of all writing instruments <br />in the cell; no paper, no pencils, just an old Apple Mac, sarcastically <br />referred to as a computer by the wardens. I found it easier to use <br />dried </font></span><span style="font-family: " sans??="" lucida=""><font size="2">excrement to mark the walls with.<pre></pre></font></span></pre></span></font><pre dir="ltr"><font color="#0000ff"><span style="font-family: " sans??="" lucida=""><p><font size="2"> </font></p></span><span style="font-family: " sans??="" lucida=""><font size="2">After Amaia's tragic death, Javier went gradually downhill, working <br />first in a cheap agency and then translating computer manuals. When I <br />last heard from him he had become a lawyer.</font></span></font></pre><pre dir="ltr"><font color="#0000ff"><span style="font-family: " sans??="" lucida=""><p><font size="2"> </font></p></span><span style="font-family: " sans??="" lucida=""><font size="2">I drifted north to the Basque Country. On her death bed, Amaia had <br />asked me to visit her parents but not to tell them how she had spent <br />her final </font></span></font><span style="font-family: " sans??="" lucida=""><font size="2"><font color="#0000ff">years, and when I eventually found them, a poor but proud <br />family of sheep farmers, I assured them that she had managed to get <br />away from the world of translation and had been working in a strip <br />club near Cuatro Caminos.<p></p></font></font></span></pre><pre dir="ltr"><font color="#0000ff"><span style="font-family: " sans??="" lucida=""><p><font size="2"> </font></p></span><span style="font-family: " sans??="" lucida=""><font size="2">As for myself, once exposed to the "mundillo" of professional <br />linguistics, I could never escape. These days, Spanish law is more <br />lenient towards us.</font></span></font></pre><pre dir="ltr"><font color="#0000ff"><span style="font-family: " sans??="" lucida=""><font size="2">The revised Penal Code practically legalises translation, stating in <br />the </font></span><span style="font-family: " sans??="" lucida=""><font size="2">preamble that "...while the practise is generally considered vile <br />and </font></span></font><span style="font-family: " sans??="" lucida=""><font size="2"><font color="#0000ff">repulsive, [...] and condemned by many religious groups, it is our <br />opinion that it is a necessary evil, and that no attempt on the part <br />of the legislators will ever succeed in entirely ridding society of the <br />practice.<p></p></font></font></span></pre><pre dir="ltr"><font color="#0000ff"><span style="font-family: " sans??="" lucida=""><p><font size="2"> </font></p></span><span style="font-family: " sans??="" lucida=""><font size="2">We also consider that legalisation of translation may help to ensure <br />that it is carried out under better and more salutary conditions".</font></span></font></pre><pre dir="ltr"><font color="#0000ff"><span style="font-family: " sans??="" lucida=""><p><font size="2"> </font></p></span><span style="font-family: " sans??="" lucida=""><font size="2">I am always heartened by the support of LANTRA*. Who would have thought <br />just a few years ago that so many people from all over the world would <br />be<p></p></font></span></font></pre><pre dir="ltr"><span style="font-family: " sans??="" lucida=""><font size="2"><font color="#0000ff">prepared to stand up in public and admit "I am a translator".<p></p></font></font></span></pre><p dir="ltr"><em><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: " sans??="" lucida=""><font color="#0000ff">* Editor's note: LANTRA-L is one of the best translators list available on the Internet. <br />For more information go to: </font><a href="http://www.geocities.com/Athens/7110/lantra.htm"><font color="#0000ff">http://www.geocities.com/Athens/7110/lantra.htm</font></a><font color="#0000ff"> </font></span></em><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: " sans??="" lucida=""><p></p></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" dir="ltr" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; direction: ltr; unicode-bidi: embed; text-align: left"><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: " sans??="" lucida=""><a href="http://www.xlation.com/essays/tnicholson.php"><font color="#0000ff">http://www.xlation.com/essays/tnicholson.php</font></a><p></p></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" dir="ltr" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; direction: ltr; unicode-bidi: embed; text-align: left"><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: " sans??="" lucida=""><p><font color="#0000ff"></font></p></span></p>
    صابر أوبيري
    www.essential-translation.com
يعمل...
X