_MD_RE: Ask the Experts

صابر أوبيري
            www.essential-translation.com

تعليق

• baqir
              عضو منتسب
              • May 2006

A website could be written a web site, according to Associated Press guidelines.However, these guidlines are not applicable in research methodology.
              Website or web site is always written in small letters, but it has to follow the rules of capitalization.

تعليق

• soubiri
                أعضاء رسميون
                • May 2006

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; direction: ltr; unicode-bidi: embed; text-align: left" align="left"><b><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue; font-family: verdana">Is 'snuck', as the past tense of 'sneak', a real word?<p></p></span></b></p><p align="left"><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue; font-family: verdana">There is a helpful summary in <i>The New Fowler's Modern English Usage</i> by R.W. Burchfield (OUP 1998): <p></p></span></p><p align="left"><b><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue; font-family: verdana">sneak </span></b><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue; font-family: verdana">(verb) Its origins are shrouded in mystery ... From the beginning, and still in standard British English, the past tense and past participle forms are <b>sneaked</b>. Just as mysteriously, in a little more than a century, a new past tense form, <b>snuck</b>, has crept and then rushed out of dialectal use in America, first into the areas of use that lexicographers label jocular or uneducated, and more recently, has reached the point where it is a virtual rival of sneaked in many parts of the English-speaking world. But not in <country-region w:st="on"><place w:st="on">Britain</place></country-region>, where it is unmistakably taken to be a jocular or non-standard form. <p></p></span></p><p align="left"><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue; font-family: verdana">Bryan A. Garner calls snuck 'nonstandard' in his <i>Dictionary of Modern American Usage</i> (OUP 1998). <p></p></span></p><p align="left"><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue; font-family: verdana">Some British dictionaries provide usage notes warning against the use of 'snuck'. <p></p></span></p>
                صابر أوبيري

تعليق

• baqir
                  عضو منتسب
                  • May 2006

Yes, "snuck" is a real word, although it has always been classified as "substandard English." "Snuck" first appeared in the 19th century as a regional variant of "sneaked," and is still considered colloquial English, but is apparently gaining in respectability among literate folk.

تعليق

• soubiri
                    أعضاء رسميون
                    • May 2006

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; direction: ltr; unicode-bidi: embed; text-align: left" align="left"><b><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue">Is it acceptable to use 'backwards' instead of 'backward'?<p></p></span></b></p><p align="left"><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue"><font face="Helvetica">This is a point on which British and <country-region w:st="on"><place w:st="on">US</place></country-region> usage differs. Here is advice from two usage guides. <p></p></font></span></p><p align="left"><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue"><font face="Helvetica">R.W. Burchfield, <i>The New Fowler's Modern English Usage</i> (OUP 1998):<br /><b>backward(s)</b> in most adverbial uses, <i>backward</i> and <i>backwards</i> are interchangeable, but usage varies subtly from person to person and from region to region. It is broadly true to say that in North America <i>backward</i> seems to be somewhat more usual than <i>backwards</i>, and in Britain the other way round ... As an adjective, the only form used is <i>backward (without a backward glance)</i>. <p></p></font></span></p><p align="left"><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue"><font face="Helvetica">Bryan A. Garner, <i>A Dictionary of Modern American Usage</i> (OUP <country-region w:st="on"><place w:st="on">USA</place></country-region> 1998): <p></p></font></span></p><p align="left"><font face="Helvetica"><b><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue">Directional words A. The suffix -ward(s)</span></b><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue"> In AmE, the preferred practice is to use the <i>-ward</i> form of directional words, as in <i>toward, forward, westward.</i> Words ending in <i>-ward</i> may be either adjectives or adverbs, whereas words ending in <i>-wards</i>, common in BrE, may be adverbs only ... Two exceptions in AmE are the adverbs <i>afterwards</i> and <i>backwards</i>, which are almost universally used in preference to <i>afterward</i> and <i>backward</i>. It's anomalous that most people say <i>forward</i> but <i>backwards</i>. <p></p></span></font></p><p align="left"><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue"><font face="Helvetica">The <i>Oxford English Dictionary</i> records that <i>backwards</i> has been in use in English since the 16th century. <p></p></font></span></p>
                    صابر أوبيري

تعليق

• soubiri
                      أعضاء رسميون
                      • May 2006

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; direction: ltr; unicode-bidi: embed; text-align: left" align="left"><b><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue">Is it acceptable to use 'backwards' instead of 'backward'?<p></p></span></b></p><p align="left"><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue"><font face="Helvetica">This is a point on which British and <country-region w:st="on"><place w:st="on">US</place></country-region> usage differs. Here is advice from two usage guides. <p></p></font></span></p><p align="left"><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue"><font face="Helvetica">R.W. Burchfield, <i>The New Fowler's Modern English Usage</i> (OUP 1998):<br /><b>backward(s)</b> in most adverbial uses, <i>backward</i> and <i>backwards</i> are interchangeable, but usage varies subtly from person to person and from region to region. It is broadly true to say that in North America <i>backward</i> seems to be somewhat more usual than <i>backwards</i>, and in Britain the other way round ... As an adjective, the only form used is <i>backward (without a backward glance)</i>. <p></p></font></span></p><p align="left"><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue"><font face="Helvetica">Bryan A. Garner, <i>A Dictionary of Modern American Usage</i> (OUP <country-region w:st="on"><place w:st="on">USA</place></country-region> 1998): <p></p></font></span></p><p align="left"><font face="Helvetica"><b><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue">Directional words A. The suffix -ward(s)</span></b><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue"> In AmE, the preferred practice is to use the <i>-ward</i> form of directional words, as in <i>toward, forward, westward.</i> Words ending in <i>-ward</i> may be either adjectives or adverbs, whereas words ending in <i>-wards</i>, common in BrE, may be adverbs only ... Two exceptions in AmE are the adverbs <i>afterwards</i> and <i>backwards</i>, which are almost universally used in preference to <i>afterward</i> and <i>backward</i>. It's anomalous that most people say <i>forward</i> but <i>backwards</i>. <p></p></span></font></p><p align="left"><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue"><font face="Helvetica">The <i>Oxford English Dictionary</i> records that <i>backwards</i> has been in use in English since the 16th century. <p></p></font></span></p>
                      صابر أوبيري

تعليق

• soubiri
                        أعضاء رسميون
                        • May 2006

<h3 style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt" align="left"><span style="color: blue; font-family: verdana"><font size="2">Should one say unorganized or disorganized?<p></p></font></span></h3><p align="left"><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue; font-family: verdana">The answer is 'it depends'. Here are the relevant definitions from the <i>New Oxford Dictionary of English</i> (1998): <p></p></span></p><p align="left"><b><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue; font-family: verdana">disorganized</span></b><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue; font-family: verdana"> not properly planned and controlled; (of a person) unable to plan one's activities efficiently. <p></p></span></p><p align="left"><b><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue; font-family: verdana">unorganized</span></b><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue; font-family: verdana"> not organized. <p></p></span></p><p align="left"><i><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue; font-family: verdana">Disorganized</span></i><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue; font-family: verdana"> is strong and disapproving; <i>unorganized</i> is mild and may be neutral. Compare: <p></p></span></p><p align="left"><i><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue; font-family: verdana">Her desk and papers seemed unorganized (but she could find anything she needed in a moment).</span></i><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue; font-family: verdana"> <p></p></span></p><p align="left"><i><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue; font-family: verdana">Her desk and papers were disorganized (and she could never lay her hands on what she needed).</span></i><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue; font-family: verdana"><p></p></span></p>
                        صابر أوبيري

تعليق

• soubiri
                          أعضاء رسميون
                          • May 2006

<h3 style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt" align="left"><span style="color: blue; font-family: verdana"><font size="2">What is the correct or more usual written form when writing the time - a.m., am, or A.M.? <p></p></font></span></h3><p align="left"><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue; font-family: verdana">British style, as laid down in the <i>Oxford Guide to Style</i>, is <metricconverter w:st="on" ProductID="7.30 a"><b>7.30 a</b></metricconverter><b>.m.</b> There is a note that in Scandinavia, <place w:st="on">North America</place>, and elsewhere the full point between the numerals is replaced by a colon (as on digital watches and clocks). The greatest simplicity is achieved by use of the 24-hour clock: 07.30. <p></p></span></p>
                          صابر أوبيري

تعليق

• soubiri
                            أعضاء رسميون
                            • May 2006

<h3 style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt" align="left"><span style="color: blue; font-family: verdana"><font size="2">What is the difference between these and those, e.g. Sonny has many qualities worth recognizing, and the purpose of this letter is to point out two of these/those qualities. <p></p></font></span></h3><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; direction: ltr; unicode-bidi: embed; text-align: left" align="left"><b><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue; font-family: verdana"><p> </p></span></b></p><p align="left"><b><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue; font-family: verdana">These/those</span></b><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue; font-family: verdana"> are the plural forms of <b>this/that</b>, and behave in the same way. As a determiner <b>this</b> is used to identify a specific person or thing close at hand or being experienced. As a determiner <b>that</b> refers to the more distant of two things near to the speaker, or to a specific thing previously mentioned. <p></p></span></p><p align="left"><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue; font-family: verdana">So in the context mentioned <b>these</b> would be best. <p></p></span></p>
                            صابر أوبيري

تعليق

• soubiri
                              أعضاء رسميون
                              • May 2006

<h3 style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt" align="left"><span style="color: blue; font-family: verdana"><font size="2">What is the distinction between enquire and inquire?<p></p></font></span></h3><p align="left"><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue; font-family: verdana">The traditional distinction between enquire and inquire is that enquire is to be used for general senses of 'ask', while inquire is reserved for uses meaning 'make a formal investigation'. In practice, however, enquire (and enquiry) is more common in British English while inquire (and inquiry) is more common in US English, but otherwise there is little discernible distinction in the way the words are used.<p></p></span></p>
                              صابر أوبيري

تعليق

يعمل...
                              X